Main Article Content
This study was conducted with the aim to develop a web-based real-time application which recognizes Filipino Sign Language (FSL) and converts it into text. Purposive sampling was used to determine a total of 30 respondents: 9 Special Education Students, 7 Special Education Teachers, and 14 Non-Disabled People. The study focused on the following variables: the independent variable, the level of acceptability in terms of content, design, and functionality; and the dependent variable, SPEAK THE SIGN: A Real-Time Sign Language to Text Converter Application for Basic Filipino Words and Phrases. A researcher-made questionnaire was used to gather data on both variables. The statistical tools used in the study were frequency count, sum, percentage, and mean. The results show that according to the three sets of respondents, the level of acceptability of the web-based real-time converter application in terms of content, design, and functionality falls under the ―Very Highly Acceptable bracket. The very highly acceptability of the application among the three sets of respondents suggest that the application was a user-friendly and beneficial for the respondents in closing the communication gap. This can also be an excellent way for non-disabled people to fully understand and appreciate the importance of learning primary Filipino Sign Language(FSL).
- . Badhe, P. C., & Kulkarni, V. (2015). Indian sign language translator using gesture recognition algorithm. 2015 IEEE International Conference on Computer Graphics, Vision and Information Security (CGVIS). Published. Retrieved from: https://doi.org/10.1109/cgvis.2015.7449921. Retrieved on: May 31, 2021.
- . Burns, E. (2021, Mar 30). Machine learning. Retrieved from: https://searchenterpriseai.techtarget.com/definition/machine-learning-ML Retrieved on: July 2, 2021.
- . Bowman Smart, H., Gyngell, C., Morgan A., Savulescu, J. (2019). The moral case for sign language education. Retrieved from: https://doi.org/10.1007/s40592-019-00101-0. Retrieved on: July 1, 2021.
- . Brownlee, J. (2020, February 19). A Gentle Introduction to Long Short-Term Memory Networks by the Experts. Machine Learning Mastery. Retrieved from: https://machinelearningmastery.com/gentle-introduction-long-short-term-memory-networks-experts/. Retrieved on: July 4, 2021.
- . Garcia, M. G., Ian San Luis, C., & Samonte, M. J. C. (2016, August). E-tutor for Filipino Sign Language. 2016 11th International Conference on Computer Science & Education (ICCSE). Retrieved from: https://doi.org/10.1109/iccse.2016.7581584. Retrieved on: June 29, 2021.
- . Elakkiya, R. (2021). Machine learning based sign language recognition: a review and its research frontier. Journal of Ambient Intelligence and Humanized Computing, 12(16), 7205-7224. Retrieved from: doi.org/10.1007/s12652-020-02396-y. Retrieved on: July 2, 2021.
- . Hadjerrouit, S. (2017). Evaluating the pedagogical opportunities provided by Aplusix for learning school algebra: A case study in mathematical education. Conference of the International Journal of Arts and Science, (10)1, 165-172. Retrieved from: http://www.universitypublications.net/proceedings/1001/pdf/P7RS136.pdf. Retrieved on: July 1, 2021.
- . Harkude, A.,Namade, S., Patil, S., & Morey, A. (2020). Audio to sign language translation for deaf people. International Journal of Engineering and Innovative Technology (IJEIT), 9 (10), 30-31. Retrieved from https://www.ijeit.com/Vol%209/ Issue%2010/IJEIT1412202004_05.pdf. Retrieved on April 13, 2021.
- . Hill, K. (2020). Why has python become a popular choice for mobile app development in 2020? Retrieved from https://dzone.com/articles/why-python-has-become-a-popular-choice-for mobile#:~:text=Most%20people%20prefer%20Python%20due,in%20the%20world%20right%20now. Retrieved on May 31, 2021.
- . Jazayeri, 2007. Some Trends in Web Application Development. Future of Software Engineering. IEEE. Retrieved from: https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/abstract/document/4221621. Retrieved on: July 2, 2021.
- . Luenendonk, M. (2019, September 18). Research and Development (R&D) | Overview & Process. Cleverism. Retrieved from: https://www.cleverismcom/rd-research-and-development-overview-process. Retrieved on: April 15, 2021.
- . Martinez, L. and Cabalfin, E. P. (2008). Sign Language and Computing in A Developing Country: A Research Roadmap for The Next Two Decades in The Philippines. Proceedings of the 22nd Pacific Asia Conference on Language, Information and Computation, pp. 438-444. Retrieved from: https://scholar.google.com/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5&q=Filipino+Sign+language+translator+application+for+special+education+students+&btnG=#d=gs_qabs&u=%23p%3DeQdU6EAdze0J. Retrieved on: July 1, 2021.
- . McCombes, S. (2019). An Introduction to Sampling Methods. Scribbr. Retrieved from https://www.scribbr.com/methodology/sampling-methods/. Retrieved on April 14, 2021.
- . Session, F.R., Pacific, A., & Africa, S. (2014). Senat’2117, pp. 1–3. Retrieved from http://www.senate.gov.ph/lisdata/1868815815!.pdf. Retrieved on April 13, 2021.
- . TechTarget, 2010. Web Application Development. Retrieved from: https://searchcloudcomputing.techtarget.com/definition/web-application-development. Retrieved on: July 2, 2021.
- . https://youtu.be/doDUihpj6ro. June 19, 2021.